Pumpkin. Cream cheese frosting. Cloves. Cinnamon. Seriously. This lil’ pumpkin roll RULES!
My friend, Savannah and I made these rolls this weekend and I was delighted with the outcome. (Actually, I was surprised it even turned out. I don’t know what I was expecting. Maybe the roll would crumble, dry out, crack. Good grief, I don’t know, I just didn’t have big expectations.) Heaven knows I don’t do “Rolls” (like dinner roles, and such) but these rolls were really easy. Our friends at Libby’s have dozens of pumpkin recipes and this one makes not only a great presentation, but scores high on taste! I’d give it 11 stars. Hands down! Here’s the recipe:
Prep: 45 min
Cook: 15 min
Cool: 60 min
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup LIBBY’S 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup walnuts (optional), chopped (meh, I left them out…it’s caloric enough!)
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine (we recommend LAND O LAKES® Butter), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.
BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Makes 10 (hefty) servings
Note: Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.